“How To Use Instagram for Marketing | Setting Up Instagram” written by Mike Marko.
Have you heard that Instagram is the fastest growing social network?
In just four years, Instagram has expanded to over 200 million monthly active users. It has also been shown that, relatively speaking, Instagram has the most engaged users compared to other social media platforms.
So would you agree that Instagram should have some consideration as an important part of your overall business marketing plan, and therefore you should learn how to use Instagram for marketing effectively?
That’s why I want to help you learn how to use Instagram for marketing effectively. Today we’ll be talking about how to setup your Instagram page.
How to Use Instagram for Marketing – Setting Up Your Profile
The following video shows the steps we use to setup our Instagram account.
Lets talk in more detail about how to use Instagram for marketing with your account setup.
General Notes About Instagram Vs Other Social Media Platforms
Setting up an Instagram profile is extremely straightforward, so I’m not going to belabor those details here. However, there are some distinct differences between Instagram and other social networks which are important to note.
- Instagram doesn’t distinguish between businesses and individual users, which is unlike Pinterest and Facebook.
- You can select one image for your profile picture. Unlike other platforms, this image isn’t clickable to zoom in. The profile picture is the only photo that will show on behalf of your business because there are no header photos or banners on Instagram.
- You can change your Instagram account name as many times as you like (though I don’t recommend it). You can also use underscores (_) and periods (.) in your username.
- Instagram only gives you 150 characters in your profile to talk about yourself or your business. This forces you to keep it simple, with a slogan or a brief elevator pitch. Use emoticons sparingly to help soften what can normally be a pretty dry profile. Include a call to action to have them visit the website right below the bio.
- Possibly the biggest downside to Instagram is you can’t include many outward links. The only place in Instagram you can include an outward link is your profile bio, so be sure to use it wisely. And don’t be afraid to experiment between using capture pages, sales copy, or blog posts.
Use Instagram to help establish your brand, your identity. Having niche focused Instagram accounts helps hone in on a target audience.
Find out what type of content engages Instagram users in your niche the most in order to maximize your Instagram presence, and create an identity around that niche. Remember that images communicate a lot more than words.
I recommend that the best way to start building your Instagram brand is to find accounts in similar industries and see what they do. Note what content they post and the reactions they receive from their posts.
As I mentioned earlier, you are only given one clickable outgoing link and that’s in your profile bio. That means you need to be very calculating in how you use it.
There is no absolute answer on what type of link you should have (capture page vs content vs order page vs sales video), but the following should be food for thought:
- Are you interested in capturing that lead right away? If that is case, then consider capture page with a lead magnet (free digital giveaway like an ebook). Make sure the capture page speaks directly to your the niche you are focusing on in your Instagram account. If you aren’t trying to solve a problem the visitor probably has, then your capture page will not be as effective as it could be.
- Do you want to qualify or warm up the visitor before converting to a lead? This is good if you want to make sure you are getting quality leads that satisfy a specific criteria. In this case either a blog post or sales copy could be good uses of the clickable link. The content will talk introduce more information about yourself. It will also go into storytelling to help the visitor relate to you, and what services and products you are offering. This content will have several calls to action in the body of the copy.
- Do you want to simply expose your visitor to your business? If you have several methods of capturing leads on your main webpage, and have lots of resources and/or content that could peak their curiosity, then sending the visitor to your main website address can be an option. Personally I prefer to send visitors to very targeted blog posts or capture pages, but the general website address is a viable option if it is setup to capture leads.
Final Thoughts on How to Use Instagram for Marketing
Instagram is an effective resource for building up a following and getting traffic to your website or offer. We’ve been using it effectively for quite a while.
Make sure you focus on the initial setup at the beginning, and it will make keeping to a targeted niche that much easier.
If you want help in building up your Instagram account, fee free to contact me and we can talk about the different options we have for mentoring and consulting. We offer an Instagram marketing service if you need help in building up your Instagram account. You can also check out Instagram Marketing Mastery by clicking here.
Be sure to also check out out this more comprehensive blog post: How to Market Your Business with Instagram And Get Results.
Just keep in mind… have fun!
P.S. – If you like this post, feel free comment down below and/or share on Facebook.
Have questions and want to connect?
Add me on Facebook then shoot me a message:
If you are interested in learning how to make money online, click the following links to learn more about the IPAS2 and the TotalShortcut system, and get the information to form your own opinion from this Empower Network Review, and Jeunesse Review. Be sure to check out Digital Altitude in our Digital Altitude review.
If you want help marketing online, then check out our services at IM Consultant Services.